Eleven Faces Major Ivy Contest Yale and Dartmouth Easy Favorites

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Beyond the confines of Cambridge, today will be the Ivy League's dullest day. The remainder of the loop's card matches three "good" teams against three "bad" teams--the kind of day predicters need to boost their percentages.

I have blown my average by continually underestimating Yale, so today I'll reverse the trend and pick the Eli over Penn. In the first two games of their present homestand the Bulldogs set a League record for points scored. That was against Cornell and Dartmouth, which have two of the best defenses in the Ivies. Penn has the worst. The temptation, therefore, is to predict an 83-1 margin; but with Princeton and Harvard on the horizon Coach Carm Cozza will probably rest Don Barrows and Brian Dowling most of the game and settle for a 38-7 score.

One of my prediction maxims--don't bet against Dartmouth--was disproved last week, but I'll stick with the other one--don't bet on Brown--for the rest of the season. The Bruins, looking for their first League win since 1955, travel to Ithaca where Cornell, prepping for Dartmouth, should have little trouble winning, 28-6.

Columbia, the League's other winless team, will have to wait yet another week before the second-division round-robin begins. Dartmouth, smarting from its humiliation at New Haven, comes to Baker Field intent on victory. The Indians are weaker and the Lions are stronger than last year when Dartmouth won, 56-14, and Columbia's Marty Domres should have a fair measure of success against the Green's crippled secondary; but the final will run 31-14, Dartmouth.

Here at home. Harvard will clip the single wing with a third-quarter comeback, 24-14.