Undefeated 'Cliffe Sailors Capture the M.I.T. Regatta

The Radcliffe sailing team triumphed in the M.I.T. ManLabs Trophy Regatta October 28-29 to make an unprecedented sweep of all its fall season races.

At their final meet, the Cliffies edged out their closest competitor, M.I.T., 272-269. M.I.T. had won its own regatta every year since it began in 1964.

Jane H. Chalmers '69 was high-scoring skipper, taking four firsts, six seconds, and three thirds in the 13 races. Nancy E. Kleckner '68 and Barbara M. Edwards '70 alternated as her crew.

B-division skipper Martha C. Fransson '68 scored second highest in her division with 128 points. She and crew Hope T. McCurdy '68 took five firsts, three seconds, a third, a fourth, a fifth, and a six. They failed to finish one race.

The Cliffies led M.I.T. eight to ten points during most of the regatta. But in the next-to-last race, Miss Fransson withdrew for an alleged foul and earned only one point, for having entered the race.

Going into the last race with a three-point margin, the Cliffies kept their slim lead by concentrating on beating M.I.T. Miss Fransson finished second to M.I.T. while Miss Chalmers scored a first.

The University of Rhode Island, with 216 points, placed third in the eleven team competition.

Earlier in the season, the Radcliffe team captured the Victorian Coffee Urn Trophy of the Radcliffe Regatta. The Cliffies also triumphed in the Regis College Intercollegiate Cup race, the B.U. Regatta, and the Jackson Regatta.

Altogether the Radcliffe sailors met and beat 34 opponents, scoring 478 out of a possible 532 points.

Michael S. Horn, coach of the Radcliffe sailing team, cited Miss Chalmers' extensive experience and the sudden appearance of Miss Fransson as an outstanding skipper as the major reasons for Radcliffe's success.