Radcliffe Closes Lounge for Dates

A Cliffie's only haven for entertaining males after midnight on weekends has been closed.

The North House Committee decided recently to close the North House Lounge, located in the basement of Holmes Hall, because not enough girls had signed up as supervisors. Workers were offered one dollar an hour for a block of three or four hours of supervising.

The Lounge offered coffee, tea, cocoa, and warmth to any Radcliffe student and her guest. Created a year ago, it extended official social life at the 'Cliffe until 2 a.m. on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

Converted from the Morse Music Library the Lounge includes a living room a kitchen area, and several small rooms with doors. The remains of the library offered last year's visitors with numerous opportunities for splendor in the shelves. Miss Clark said that the North House Committee would probably re-open the Lounge if a regular staff signed up or if demand were sufficient to merit recruiting supervisors.

North House members may still reserve the Lounge for private parties, but they must observe Holmes Hall closing hours.