Booters Beat Brown, 2-0, For Freshman Supremacy

By John A. Herfort

A strong freshman defense stopped Brown cold, and Pete Bogovich and Solomon Gomez scored a goal apiece for a 2-0 Yardling soccer team victory here yesterday afternoon. The undefeated Crimson, which has allowed only three goals all season, played its best overall game to register Harvard's first soccer victory over Brown since 1963.

Bogovich, whose effectiveness was minimized by Brown's rough three-back defense, flipped a short shot over the outrushing goalie at 12:29 of the opening period. Gomez and left wing John Runyan carred the ball into Brown's zone much of the game, but Harvard had only its one-goal lead to protect until the final minutes.

Then Gomez, who got off the bulk of Harvard's second-half shots, hit the right side of the goal with two-and-a-half minutes to play. The speedy Gambian took a long pass from Bogovich, rolled past a fullback he had intimidated by this time, and converted his clear shot.

Bill Meyers played an impressive game in the goal, taking charge of the penalty area and handling Brown shots with great assurance. Fullbacks Bill Brock and Roland McClain consistently cleared Cub forays and halfbacks John Gordon and Beezo Cutler controlled the middle of the field with their aggressive play.

Brown was upset early in the season by Dartmouth, 1-0, for its first freshman soccer loss in 25 games. Harvard nipped the Pea Green, 2-1, on the way to compiling its present 8-0-1 record. The only game remaining is Friday afternoon at Yale.

Yesterday's game was originally scheduled for last Friday, but was delayed because of the poor field conditions following Wednesday's snowstorm.