Give Student Government Diversification, Says HUC

The Harvard Undergraduate Council has called for a clear division of student government duties among the HUC, Harvard Policy Committee, and the Student-Faculty Advisory Council.

The proposal suggests that the HPC deal with academic affairs, the SFAC handle issues between the University and the community, and that HUC work with non-academic matters.

The HUC would concern itself with issues such as parietals, women in dining halls, and athletics.

"The HUC seems to be trying to stake out part of the student government turf," Henry R. Norr '68, president of the HPC, said yesterday. Norr said he "hopes the HUC finds a way to bolster its role in student affairs."

"Perhaps they can hook up with the new Radcliffe Union of Students," he added.

Thomas J. Shields '69, member of the HUC's Committee on Restructuring, said, "The only way to keep the HUC alive is to narrow its goals. HUC success in non-academic affairs will provide a base of respect for the organization."

The proposal, part of a sweeping reform movement suggested by the HUC committee, also suggested forming a coordinating body to determine the allocation of funds and settle matters of jurisdiction among the organizations. Two members from each group would compose the body.

Increase Membership

The restructuring committee also suggested that the HUC's membership be increased from 22 to 36 members. The council would then include two students from each House elected by popular vote, the chairman of each House committee or someone he appoints, and nine freshmen.

Currently the HUC consists of each House committee chairman, one student elected by each House committee, and four freshmen, including the president of the Freshmen Council.

Members of the restructuring committee said they will work on this and other ideas during Christmas vacation. "Our constitution needs a lot of work if the HUC is to continue to be a responsible and representative student government," Shields said.