Bruins' Hot First Line Butchers Sextet, 9-1

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

PROVIDENCE, R.I., Feb. 11--The Harvard hockey team ran into the hottest line in the East and was dealt a punishing 9-1 defeat by Brown at Mehan Auditorium here today. Dennis Macks and Bob Devaney scored three goals apiece and Wayne Small added two to provide the difference between the teams.

The margin was not too significant. Harvard controlled the play when the Bruin first line wasn't on, and gave a good account of itself before the television cameras broadcasting the ECAC game of the week.

But when it came to scoring, the Crimson players' bids were generally off-target or deflected by Brown defensemen. Only Tag Demment found the mark, at 17:49 of the second period. Stationed by the goal's left post. Demment took a pass from defenseman Ben Smith on a power play and spun the puck into the goal's far side.

Perfect Deflection

Brown already had eight of its goals by that point, and they were all beauties. The first came at 4:01 of the first period when Devaney fed Macks charging down the left wing for an unstoppable shot. Two minutes later, with the Crimson a man down. Devaney perfectly deflected Bob Rockwood's shot from the point.

Phil Moreland got the third goal at 13:-09 on a face-off play. Then at 15:48 Macks broke away, powered around defenseman Dennis Clark, faked goalie Billy Diercks onto the ice, and swung the puck around him into the net.

Macks got his hat trick with another uncanny deflection on a power play at 0:27 of the second period. Fifteen seconds later Small connected on a clear ten-footer.

At 3:39 Small stole the puck inside the Harvard blue line, skated around Diercks' ankle, and shot behind him into the goal. At 5:48 Macks lined up a pass from the corner to Devaney, who slapped it into the goal's lower left corner.

Devaney crashed home a rebound at 14:04 of the third period for Brown's final goal, the only one of the lot that Diercks had the slightest chance on.

Unrelenting

Harvard never relented and forced Brown's Dick Rastany and substitute Mark Burns to make 14 saves in the third period but the only result was a series of incidents and poor sportsmanship by Small and Devaney that was duly penalized in the final minutes.

Macks, the senior captain from Ontario, Small, a junior from Ontario, and Devaney, a sophomore from Alberta, were united only four games ago but played like they had been linemates for life. Their combination is responsible for Brown's resurgence after losing three of its first four Ivy games, and is the reason Bruins fans are eagerly awaiting Cornell's visit next Saturday.

For Harvard the next item on the agenda is the Beanpot consolation against B.C. at 7 p.m. Monday at Boston Garden. The Crimson skaters are down from two defeats in three days but will have the 4-3 overtime loss in January that started the present skid on their minds when they face the Eagles again.

Coach Cooney Weiland presented an all new line-up for Brown. Ben Smith played defense with Bob Carr, but was moved back to the front lines for the third period in one of many mid-game shuffles. Diercks made 32 saves for the game, and the final score was no reflection of his commendable performance in the nets.