Trackmen Dump Brown

Harvard squashed Brown, 86-23, last night in Briggs Cage for its seventh straight dual meet victory.

One Cage record was set and another tied in this final dual meet of the season. Junior Jeff Huvelle's 1:12.4 in the 600 beat the old 1:12.5 mark, and Steve Schoonover's 14' 10" leap in the pole vault tied the record.

Schoonover's win broke a suspense that built rapidly after he, sophomore Pete Lazarus, and senior Dave Bell all cleared 14'. This was the first time three Harvard vaulters had made 14' in the same meet.

After Schoonover cleared what was previously announced to be 15' 1," the bar was measured. But it fell off the standards and had to be replaced before measuring, when it was said to be 14' 10." Schoonover's subsequent attempt at 15' 6" was foiled by a broken pole.

Crimson runners took all their events but the hurdles. Sophomore Dick Howe edged out juniors Jim Baker and Trey Burns in a dramatic mile. Howe led off a fierce challenge by Baker to hit the tape first, though both were timed in 4:14.8

Sophomore Tom Lemire set a Brown record in his 0:5.4 win over Andy Cahners and Frank Haggerty in the hurdles.

As expected, Harvard dominated the weight throw and shot put but fared badly in the broad jump. Ron Wilson heaved the hammer 58' 6" to win in a Harvard sweep, and sophomore Benka took the shot put with a 52' 6" toss.

Captain Keith Colburn starred in the freshmen's 80-29 romp. The red-haired runner anchored the victorious mile relay team, won the 600 in 1:13.6, and captured the 1000 Yards in the fantastic time of 2:12.2, a freshman and Cage record.