RGA Sponsors Area Conference To Discuss Scholars' Policy Role

Members of the State Department and the Faculty will participate in a New England-wide conference on "the role of the scholar in foreign policy" at Harvard on February 17 and 18.

The conference--speeches, a panel discussion, and workshops--is planned and sponsored by the Radcliffe Government Association, which put up nearly $2000 and expects 300 delegates, from Harvard, Radcliffe, and the 28 New England colleges affiliated with the National Student Association.

A "delegate" will be any student who registers and pays five dollars, the price of the conference's final dinner. Delegates will be able to attend the two-hour workshop sessions with Harvard history and government tutors, and will receive "working papers," a bibliography, and transcripts of the speeches.

May. Hoffmann Yarmolinsky

The speeches themselves--by Ernest R. May. professor of History; Stauley H. Hoffmann professor of Government; and Adam Yarmolinsky '43, professor of Law and former assistant secretary of defense will be free and open to the public.

RGA's sponsorship of the conference is significant because it is the organization's first venture away from college oriented and especially Radcliffe centered, activities. Mary Belle Faltenstein '83, the conference's originator, got the ides for the project at a National Student Association convention last summer.

The conference's purpose is to "research the possibilities open to the scholar in policy making, to ask questions rather than to answer them," Miss Feltenstein explained yesterday.

The registration deadline is February 14. Forms can be obtained from representatives in the Houses, at Radcliffe, or at the RGA office.