Upstart Swimmers Surprise Easterns

Harvard surprised everybody but themselves Saturday at the Eastern Seaboards Swimming Championships held at Yale. They set three Harvard records and qualified Bob Corris, Bill Murphy, and the relay teams for the NCAA championships.

Bob Corris swam his best time of the season as he finished second in the 200 yard breaststroke with a 2:17.2.

After missing four weeks of practice during the middle of the season with mononucleosis, Corris has begun to bring his times down. He expects to be completely well and ready for the NCAA.

Sophomore Bill Murphy continued to thrill spectators with his magnificent diying. Behind by one-tenth of a point after the afternoon dives. Murphy turned in the best performance of his career as he ended up nearly 40 points ahead of his closest challenger, winning 460-421.

Relay Team

The freestyle relay teams composed of Pete Adams, Jim Seubold, Bill Shrout and John Bragg, shattered Harvard records as they qualified for the NCAA. The 800 yard freestyle relay team finished third with a time of 7:13.5, breaking the old record by 1.9 seconds.

The 400 yard freestyle relay team finished sixth Friday night, but broke the old Harvard record by 0.3 seconds as they turned in a great time of 3:13.9.

Dick Smith slashed the old record by 23.2 seconds as he turned in a great time of 18:24.6 for the 1650 yard freestyle.

Overall the Crimson finished seventh. Brooks and the rest of the team are hopeful of bringing back two All-Americans, Corris and Murphy, from the NCAA championships to be held in East Lansing, Michigan, March 23-25.