Skaters Crumple Yale, 7-3

The Harvard hockey team won the eighth and final spot in this week's ECAC Tournament with a repeat 7-3 stomp over Yale Saturday at Ingalls Rink in New Haven. Five first-period goals--including three within 46 seconds--ensured the win, which gave the Crimson a second-place tie with Brown in the final Ivy League standings.

Bob Fredo, after pulling out Eli goalie Mark Dayton on a breakaway, slipped the puck past him into the net to open the scoring at 8:45.

Barrage Begins

Then after 11 minutes of play, the Crimson barrage began. Barry Johnson scored at 11:02 and his companion sophomore wing, Pete Mueller, added a goal 31 seconds later. Center Kent Parrot assisted on both.

The first line went off, but the second kept up the attack. Pete Waldinger made it 4-0 at 11:48, with Jack Garrity and Chip Scammon getting the first of their two assists each.

Fredo's second goal, at 16:28, equalled the 5-0 lead it had taken Harvard 50 minutes to build in the two teams' first meeting at the Boston Arena last Saturday.

Harvard outshot the Bulldogs 18-4 in the second period but traded single goals. Jack Garrity scoring his tenth of the season for the Crimson and Rick McCarthy tallying for Yale.

Yale came on stronger in the third period, but again, it was far too late. Marty Sear and Bill McKenna scored Eli goals, and Bobby Bauer registered his twelfth goal (second only to Parrot's 14) on a power play to raise the Crimson output to seven.

Diercks Saves 29

Bill Diercks turned in another good job in the nets with 29 saves. Dayton had 38.

The win effected three gratifying incidentals: Yale was knocked from fourth to fifth in the ECAC rankings, forcing the Elis to travel to St. Lawrence for their first-round game Tuesday; the Harvard defense starved goal-hungry Jack Morrison for the second time, making him forfeit the Ivy scoring championship to Brown's Wayne Small; and the Crimson, despite its loss at Princeton, won the Big Three title.

Harvard will face B.U. at the Arena Tuesday night. Brown was awarded the seventh spot and will play at Cornell. Clarkson at B.C. is the other pairing.