SDS Plans Lectures On Marxist Ideology

Students for a Democratic Society at Harvard and M.I.T. will sponsor a series of lectures over the next two months on contemporary Marxism. Speakers in the series will range from a Divinity School professor to a Roxbury community organizer.

An SDS spokesman at M.I.T. said yesterday that young leftists spend too much time on "verbal ejaculations" about ideology, and he expressed the hope that the lectures would lead to a serious and reasonable discussion of Marxist principles.

A number of Harvard faculty members, including Barrington Moore Jr., lecturer on Sociology, and Harvey Cox, associate professor of Church and Society, will participate in the program.

Robert Cohen, chairman of the Department of Physics at Boston University, will deliver the first lecture in the series in Sever Hall tonight. Cohen will discuss the relationship between Marxist and Existentialism.

The American Institute of Marxist Studies, of which Cohen is the chairman, helped SDS to arrange for several of the speakers in the program.