Stickmen Conquer M.I.T., 6-3; Hutchison Throws in Two Goals

Harvard's lacrosse team yesterday retained its rating as the best college squad in Cambridge as it stumbled to a 6-3 victory over M.I.T. at the Engineers' field.

Solid defensive work and improved ball-handling were the keys to the win, in which Coach Bruce Munro's stickmen showed a solid improvement over last week's disastrous Southern trip.

Senior attackman Keith Hutchison displayed some excellent one-on-one moves, scoring two goals and assisting on another. He and midfielders Marty Cain and Tom Engel supplied the offensive punch, while defensemen Dave Davis and Mike Ananis joined with goalie Bob Norton to keep M.I.T. from mounting any real threat of its own.

Both teams looked rusty at the start; neither scored in the first quarter. Several times players -- from Harvard and M.I.T. -- blew shots at an open goal.

Harvard finally broke the ice in the second period, however, when sophomore attackman Scott Robertson bounced in a shot from the left side. After M.I.T. had retaliated, the Crimson struck twice within 30 seconds on two long, hard shots by midfielders Towny Gray and Engel.

A sloppy third quarter saw Harvard entirely dominate the action. The Crimson seemed to snare every loose ground ball. But Hutchison's first goal of the game, coming early in the period on some beautiful maneuvering around M.I.T. defenders was the Crimson's only positive achievement -- it gave Harvard a 4-1 lead going into the final quarter.

The Engineers' Charley Taylor started the scoring in the fourth period when he whipped in a 10-footer for his second goal of the game. Cain, taking a good feed from Hutchison out in front, accounted for the fifth Harvard goal three minutes later.

Hutchinson followed with his second goal after again fighting his way by an M.I.T. defender.

The highly-regarded Crimson freshmen, sparked by John Ince's five goals and six assists, annihilated the M.I.T. frosh, 16-0, at home yesterday.

The varsity will have its home opener this Saturday against Penn. And the freshmen will also be at home, facing Derfield Academy.