Golfers Score Initial Victory Topping Amherst, 7-0, Tufts, 6-1

The golf team won its first match of the year yesterday, clobbering Amherst, 7-0, and Tufts, 6-1, on the short and unchallenging Sagamore Country Club course in Lynnfield, the Jumbos' home layout.

Bruce LoPucki, a sophomore playing number one, led the way firing a 71. He was two under par when he closed out his Amherst opponent, 4 and 3. He smashed his Tufts man, 6 and 4.

Lopucki burned out four birdies and two bogeys during the round. "But the course was cow pasture," he was quick to point out. He drove the green on two par fours - one was 230 yards, the other was about 275.

After the shattering 6-1 loss to Navy Saturday, yesterday's win should have been heartening. But the course and the weakling opponents discouraged LoPucki and others. Still the win was slightly more impressive than last year when the Crimson whipped Tufts 4-3 and Amherst. 4 1/2-2 1/2.

Brian McGuinn, the squad's captain and number one man last year, had a struggle getting a spot on the team after a poor showing on the Spring trip. He won challenge matches during the week though and played number five yesterday, nudging his Lord Jeff foe, 2 and 1, and his Jumbo opponent. 1 up on the 19th.

Bob Sinclair made the second best showing of the day, after LoPucki. Playing six, he won his matches, 8 and 6, and 5 and 4, while twirling out a fine 74. Sinclair is one of three returning lettermen on the team, and the three played the bottom positions yesterday.

Two sophomores -- Paul Oldfield and Tom Wynne -- made fine showings in the three and four spots. And newcomer Bob Keefe, a junior, looked strong at number two. Bob Kidder, who ran hot and cold last year, dropped the only match, to Tufts, 2 and 1.

The squad is inexperienced. That is certain, and matches such as this one really help very little. The team looks better than last year's, which finished with an 8-7 record. But only tougher matches on better courses can tell that.