Racketmen Wallop Lord Jeffs, 8-1

Saturday's drizzle moved the tennis match with Amherst to the Palmer Dixon indoor courts, but Harvard's traditional depth shone through as usual for an 8-1 win.

The Crimson's only defeat came at number one, where Bernie Adelsberg lost, 7-5, 4-6, 6-1. The big junior showed brief signs of returning to form before bowing to a steady Amherst sophomore.

Captain Brian Davis, at two, started like a whirlwind, lost his concentration temporarily, and then came on stronger than ever to win, 6-3, 6-8, 6-0. He blew a 4-1 lead in the second set.

Bottom Four Breezes

The rest of the Harvard lineup, John Levin, Rockey Jarvis, Jose Gonzalez, and newcomer John Appleby, made short work of the Lord Jeffs. Losing 6-3 was as close as Amherst came to taking a set in the bottom four slots.

Before Davis finished his singles match, Gonzalez and squash captain-elect Rick Sterne clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-2 win at third doubles.

Coach Jack Barnaby substituted the experienced senior tandem of Dean Bauer and Dave Hodges at second doubles, and they responded with a 6-4, 7-5 victory.

Jeffs Default

Instead of starting the first doubles match at 6 p.m., Amherst defaulted for the final 8-1 margin.

Gonzalez was playing his first singles match after coming off the injured list. Appleby moved into the top six when his brother Dick quit the team after eating the morning training meal.

The senior was upset at being placed number five in his first match, behind sophomores Levin and Jarvis. He played sixth singles last year, but skipped the southern trip this spring.