Track Team Clobbers Dartmouth; Freshman Sets Mile Mark in 4:07

The Harvard varsity track team obliterated an almost non-existent Dartmouth squad, 135-18, at Soldiers Field Saturday, but freshman Royce Shaw supplied the excitement to the non-contest with a spectacular 4:07.4 mile. Shaw's freshman record, five seconds below his high-school best and only one second off Mark Mullin's varsity record, put him in sight of the most magical of all barriers, the four minute mile.

The rookie from Los Angeles, aiming to lead teammate Keith Colburn through the three-quarters in 3:05, had splits of 59.5 and 2:02 before hitting 3:05, on the nose. Colburn took over with 300 yards to go, but tired and was overtaken by Shaw coming off the last turn.

Colburn recovered from his defeat to demolish the freshman half-mile record in a sizzling 1:52.6.

Doug Hardin led the varsity with an impressive double. After placing second to Jim Baker in the mile with a 4:14, the dauntless sophomore ran away with the two mile in a quick 9:09.

Captain Wayne Anderson hung on in the 220 to nip junior Jeff Huvelle in 21.5. Anderson also led sophomore Bill Jewett to the 100 tape in 9.8, and Huvelle's 48.4 paced a sweep -- one of Harvard's nine--in the quarter.

Dartmouth took the broad jump and the high jump. But Harvard showed improvement in the javelin, with Henry Bernson and Bob Welch taking the top spots with 196 and 194-foot spirals, respectively.