Harvard, Yale Netmen Slated to Clash Today

Last Wednesday Yale tennis coach John Skillman refused to bring his team to rainy Cambridge, because he didn't want to play on Harvard's indoor courts. For this reason today's scheduled make-up match may not materialize, if it rains again.

It seems that Harvard would rule the favorite indoors or out. Yale is undefeated, but has won four matches by only 5-4 and had a rainout against powerhouse Penn. In addition, Harvard has not been defeated at home in three years.

The top three singles matches will be close. Yale's Jack Waltz was top seed in last weekend's New England Tournament but got knocked out in a first round upset. His opponent today, Harvard's John Levin, kept his cool in the tournament and made it to the final round before losing.

At number two, the Crimson's Bernie Adelsberg and the Eli's Mike Brooks will meet for the second year. Last spring junior Adelsberg won in straight sets but he has been erratic this season.

Yale's Bob McCallum, another first round casualty in the N.E. Tournament, should give Harvard captain Brian Davis a strong test.

But the next three singles matches will likely go to Harvard. Rocky Jarvis should slash by the Yalie's Keeton, who lost to Davis in the New Englands. Jarvis has not lost a set all year, outside of a loss in the Princeton match.

Jose Gonzalez and Dave Hodges should romp at five and six, giving Harvard a lead going into the doubles competition.

In the doubles Levin and Jarvis have to be rated shoo-ins off their 6-2, 6-3 trouncing of the Yale first team of Waltz and Brooks in the tournament.

Adelsberg and Davis and Gonzalez and Hodges seem to be in good shape at second and third doubles, especially since Gonzalez and Hodges are undefeated.

Bruce Wiegand (7), Dean Bauer (8) Kent Parrot (9) and Rick Sterne (10) fill out the Crimson lineup in the nonscoring slots.