College Still Seeks a Man For Adm. Job

An Acting Dean May Be Needed

By Glenn A. Padnick

The search for a new College dean of admissions apparently will go on at least until the Fall.

According to President Pusey; Harvard has been unable to find a replacement for Fred L. Glimp '50, current dean of admissions, who will become Dean of the College on July 1.

If a new dean of admissions is not found by Christmas, Pusey said, then an acting dean will probably be named to oversee selection of the Class of '72.

This last happened during the 1950's, when dean of admissions Wilbur J. Bender '27, took a year's leave-of-absence and his position was temporarily filled by the Dean of the College, Delmar Leighton '19.

Pusey himself served as Dean of the Faculty between McGeorge Bundy's resignation and the appointment of Franklin L. Ford, and also as dean of the School of Education before the appointment of Theodore Sizer.

The College is not worried about the interim period. "The basic machinery of admissions is pretty much routinized now," Dean Monro said yesterday. He was confident that the admissions staff would complete the necessary recruiting tours and paperwork without a full-time dean in charge.

At the time of Glimp's appointment as Dean of the College, it was thought that a new dean of admissions would be announced before the end of this term. Since then, several men have been approached for the job, Pusey said, but with no success.