Summer Shopping

The Coursegoer

Hello, summer school student. While you have been snatching a fortnight's vacation, the Harvard Summer New's Editorial Board has been wrangling over which courses are the best picks for this summer. The Board is practiced in this art, for it struggles all winter over which courses to pan or praise in The Harvard Crimson (or Winter News, if you like) Confidential Guide.

We have discounted courses which involve a full time, very serious pursuit of knowledge: the Chemistry S-20's, the Economics S-1's and the Greek A-Aab's. This little guide is aimed at the dilletantes who are in town to toss back a few intellectual cocktails to satisfy their thirst for learning. From our long meetings, full of quibble and compromise, we have come up with these few mild recommendations.

For early risers.

Early rising is a great way to beat the heat--not as fashionable a way as sporting a Panama shirt, but more effective. The following courses should be cool and refreshing.

English S-170. 8-9.

Should be worth the painful awakening every morning to hear a great man lecture. The great man is Professor Emeritus Howard Mumford Jones, and he will take on Major American writers.

Fine Arts S-197ab. 9-10.

American Painting from 1670, though the Civil War, right up to the present day. Alfred Frankenstein, a practicing art critic (for the San Francisco Chronicle) who has lectured at the University of California and Mills College, should be good.

Social Relations S-152e. 9-10.

Dr. David Gottlieb, the Assistant Director of the Job Corps at the Office of Economic Opportunity, calls his course the Sociology of Adolescence. The topic is popular with Soc Rellies at winter Harvard, and the man ought to have a first-hand knowledge of his subject.

Philosophy S-138. 9-10.

Professor Olafson, a Harvard regular, will explain Existentialism and concentrate on Jean-Paul Sartre.

Music S-104. 11-12.

Professor Victor Yellin will teach what should be a delightful course on Early Romantic Opera from Mozart to Meyerbeer. Don't expect a simple music appreciation course, however, because particular attention will be given to the problems of opera composition.

Mid-morning courses.

The sun is up, so make for a lecture hall and sit in the shade of the podium. Emerson Hall is recommended for this time of day no matter what is being given there; it is air-conditioned and the chairs are soft.

Education S-A-2. 12-1; F, 2-3.

Dr. Robert L. Church, one of Harvard's respected men, is teaching this course on American Education since 1789. It is a lot more interesting that you're probably thinking.

English S-121. 11-12.

Most of your nondramatic poets between Spenser and Milton. Looks to be a fairly tough course, but you get your money's worth from Professor Baker, a Harvard regular who is not to be out-Donne.

History S-155b. 11-12.

Russian History from 1855-1917. Exciting, decadent stuff. Mad monks, Faberge Easter eggs, and more Czars than you can shake a sceptre at. This course is taught by Leopold H. Hamison, a Professor of Russian History at Columbia. Whose Russian Center is comparable to Harvard's. This course looks likes a solid bet.

Economics S-144. 11-12.

Find out what Gardner Ackley is getting at. This course is about Government (that is, our government) Policy towards Business, and it is taught by Martin Oettinger of the University of California. A course for our times.

French S-163. 10-11.

Harvard's Alvin Labat holds forth on the French classical theatre, in French. Should be rigorous, but fun.

For late risers.

Get up, have a little breakfast, and then stop in on a lecture before heading for the Brattle or Fenway Park.

Fine Arts S-76. 12-1. Films: M, W, 2:30-4:30.

This could be the big sleeper of the whole summer school curriculum. Realism and Abstraction in Cinema, 1896-1966, it's called. If you have no vigorous objection to watching movies for credit, this course is probably for you. Richard MacCann, of the University of Kansas Journalism School, runs the show.

English S-Hc. T, Th, 2-4.

Dr. Stephen Sandy has taught such short-story writing seminars in the past with much success. It is a good place to air the creative impulse.

English S-114. M, W, 2-4.

Professor Bloomfield, who received wide student approval when he taught Harvard's Chaucer course this year, is sure to add the insight that you need to appreciate Beowulf or Gawain and the Green Knight. Though it's not really summer fare, this course might just be fun.

History S-108a. T, Th, 2-4:30.

Mason Hammond is the stalwart professor of "Gladiators," as his winter course in Roman History is known. He has got a fascinating subject in "The City in the Ancient World," and he is reputed to be even more delighted in a seminar-type course than he is on the podium. This course, by the way, should not be overly rugged.