Summer Publishing Course Ends Today at Radcliffe

Radcliffe's unique six-week summer training course in book and magazine publishing winds up today.

Edward Weeks, former editor of the Atlantic Monthly, will address the 60 students--all college graduates--who have completed the course.

Mrs. Diggory Venn, director of the program--which celebrated its twentieth anniversary this summer--said yesterday that other schools have undergraduate courses in publishing, but that Radcliffe's program is the only one to offer a six-week course which prepares a student for any job in the publishing field.

In recent years admission to the program has become increasingly competitive. According to Mrs. Venn, two out of three applicants had to be turned down this year.

The program is divided into two three-week sessions, the first concentrating on books, the second on magazines. During the second period students were divided into seven groups and each group was responsible for preparing--with the advice of professional publishers--an urban magazine.

The seven magazines were theoretically based on different cities: Los Angeles, Toronto, Boston, and several others.