Yardling Hoopsters Down M.I.T.; Take on Dartmouth Frosh Tonight

Rebounding is the name of the game for Harvard's freshman basketball team this season. The Yardlings relied upon board control again last Saturday night as they demolished the M.I.T. freshmen by a score of 94-65.

The game's outcome was never in question as Harvard raced to a 46-31 halftime lead behind the scoring of captain Dale Dover and guard Joe Stanislaw. Many of Harvard's first-half points resulted from fast breaks set up by the strong defensive rebounding of forward Mike Janczewski and center George Yates.

Coach George Harrington's freshman team demonstrated a balanced scoring attack in posting their fifth win of the season against only one defeat (to Boston College).

Dover and Stanislaw each scored 16 points to tie for individual scoring honors. But they received plenty of support from their teammates. Janczewski and reserve guard Jay Noble pumped in 11 points apiece. Forward Mike Collins, with ten points, was the fifth Crimson freshman to score in double figures.

Collins made his debut as a starter Saturday night, replacing Dave Finholt. Finholt, who has performed capably all season, is transferring to St. Olaf College in Minnesota at the end of this semester. Coach Harrington used him sparingly against M.I.T.

Harrington rates his first eight players as the best team he has had in his four seasons as freshman coach. But knowledgeable Harvard basketball fans must still be convinced of the team's individual talent. In past years, Harvard's Yardling stars somehow blew their cool when they reached the varsity level of competition. Still, this year's freshman team contains some exciting prospects.

Dover, averaging 16.7 points per game, is probably the best varsity prospect. The freshman captain's deceptive passing and aggressive defense have been key factors in the team's early success.

Janczewski, who has also averaged 16.7 points per game, has the height to make it in the big time. At 6'6", he could develop into a fine varsity forward.

Stanislaw's accurate outside jumpshot and scrappy floor play figure to make him a starting guard on Harvard's varsity within the next couple of years.

Yates, standing 6'8", Collins, and Noble could all see some varsity action before their basketball days are through.

Tonight, the Harvard freshmen take on their counterparts from Dartmouth at the IAB in what could prove to be their toughest game of the year. "If they beat Dartmouth there is no reason why they can't win all the rest of them," Harrington said yesterday.