Policemen Remove 14 Protestors From HUAC Hearing on Chicago

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON--Police evicted 14 anti-war protestors and lawyers Tuesday when they tried to disrupt a hearing by a House subcommittee on Un-American activities probing the bloody Chicago street battles at the Democratic National Convention.

Bushy-bearded Yippie leader Jerry Rubin, a major figure in the demonstrations, was led from the House Office Building by police for the second time in one day. He was evicted earlier when he tried to enter the hearings wearing a bandolier ribbed with live bullets.

The subcommittee ordered the protest leaders and their attorneys ousted from the room when they stood to stage a silent protest against the hearings. Police ushered them out without resistance. No immediate arrests were made, although the subcommittee chairman, Rep. Richard Ichord, (D-Mo.) warned the protestors they could be charged with trying to disrupt Congress. He told their attorneys they could be cited for contempt.

Ichord said the body would only investigate alleged Communist involvement in the demonstrations, and ruled out any inquiry into the charges that the Chicago police brutally suppressed the demonstrators.

The first witness, committee staffer James L. Gallagher, said that the demonstrations "paralleled the policies of Hanoi, Peking, and Moscow." A Chicago police sergeant said the clashes with police were planned over a year ago.

The "hearings" were interrupted throughout the afternoon by protests from Rubin and other spectators. "This is not an attempt to find the truth. This is an attempt to smear," said Rubin, who termed the session a "little Chicago," pointing to the 20-odd policemen lining the walls of the hearing room. At one point, another Yippie stood in the audience to ask if he could go to the bathroom.

Rubin and other demonstration leaders are scheduled to testify before the subcommittee on Thursday, the second day of hearings.

Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has been asked to appear at the hearings, but he has not yet sent a reply to the committee's request.

Witnesses scheduled to appear during the hearings include, Dave Dellinger, leader of the Mobilization Committee to End the War; Tom Hayden, founder of Students for a Democratic Society; and Abbie Hoffman, a Yippie leader.

In other Washington action yesterday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said the New Left has "mushroomed into a major security problem." The FBI claimed that some New Left figures are "talking about sabotage, violence, and the forcible destruction of certain key facilities."

The charge, contained in the FBI's annual report for the fiscal year 1968, said that SDS was largely to blame for campus unrest. It termed SDS "a forerunner of the nihilist movement."