Freshman Booters Trample M.I.T.; Cornell Nips Cross-Country Team

Charlie Thomas scored three goals and had one assist to spark the Harvard freshman soccer team to a 7-1 victory over a weak M.I.T. squad last Saturday.

Upping their record to 3-0, the frosh preserved the undefeated streak of last year's freshman team. The Harvard freshman soccer team has not lost in its last 13 outings.

After repeated near misses, Thomas and Phil Kydes broke the game open in the first period by scoring two quick goals. Center forward Thomas booted his first goal at 13:16. Thirty seconds later Kydes scored unassisted.

Penalty Shot

Pouring it on, the Crimson peppered the M.I.T. goalie with 22 shots in the next three periods. Thomas nonchalantly tallied his second goal on a penalty shot, scored his third unassisted, and fed Kydes for a score. Forwards Skip Marotta and Steve Orlins added the other two Crimson goals.

Sharp passing and heads-up positioning by the Harvard defense throttled M.I.T. offensive play until late in the fourth quarter. Tech wing John Skotheim ruined the Crimson shutout with a goal in the upper left hand corner, past Yardling goalie Josh Burns.

Harvard's freshman cross-country team went down to its second defeat in eight meets by falling to Cornell, 28-27, here last Saturday.

Mike Korener, not yet fully recovered from an ankle injury, led the Crimson harriers over the 3.1-mile course with a time of 16:10, good for third place. Bob Seals finished fourth for Harvard at 16:11, Alan Long fifth at 16:26, Rick Jurgens seventh at 16:43, and Andy Meltzoff ninth at 16:57.

Don Alexander and Phil Ritson paced Cornell, which has now won all four of its meets this year. Both ran the course in 15:49, with Alexander edging Ritson for first-place honors.

Coach "Pappy" Hunt called Harvard's performance in the meet "another great team effort." "I'm sure we would have taken Cornell easily if Koerner and Jurgens had been free from injuries all year," Hunt said.

Stay With It

Hunt added that he hoped his runners had learned from the meet how important it is not to fall too far behind the pace-setters in the early stages of a race. Meitzoff, for example, "made a tremendous finish but simply gave up too much ground at the start," the coach said.