Dartmouth Frosh Humble Crimson

A sloppy, uninspired Harvard freshman football team yielded a touchdown in every period to visiting Dartmouth yesterday as the Baby Green humiliated them 27-2.

For the second consecutive week the Crimson effectively concelled its own solid individual performances with fumbles, penalties, and shoddy execution. Three times they marched the length of the field only to lose the ball on downs inside the Dartmouth 20-yard line.

The Yardlings seemed to have the momentum early in the first quarter when they forced Dartmouth to surrender the ball on their first series of downs. They then drove 54 yards in ten plays to the Dartmouth 13, but, on the crucial fourth down play, Harvard quarterback Rex Blankenship fumbled the snap from center and the Crimson threat ended.

Dartmouth's quarterback Bob Pollock pitched three long passes over a confused Harvard secondary to set up the first three Dartmouth scores. He tossed a 28-yard touchdown pass to halfback Stu Simms for the opening touchdown and a 54 bomb to halfback Carl Brown to the Harvard one-yard line. In the third period Pollock lofted a 35-yard aerial which led to the third Baby Green touchdown.

The final Dartmouth tally came two plays after Harvard's Carl Compton had blocked a punt out of the end zone for a Crimson safety.

Halfback Carl Brown ran into a mass of Harvard defenders on a line smash but he broke past the line of scrimmage and romped 70 yards to make the final score 27-2.

The Crimson passing attack sputtered throughout the game, but halfback Steve Harrison, whom Dartmouth coach John Curtis called "one of the best backs I've seen in the Ivy League since I've been coaching," turned in another fine performance, gaining 70 yards in 10 carries.