Freshmen Defeat Hanover Booters

Charlie Thomas pumped in four goals, two on penalty kicks, as the freshman soccer team came from behind to whip Dartmouth 6-1 yesterday at Hanover. It was the Crimson's fifth victory without a loss.

Thomas increased his team-leading goal total to eleven. Russ Bell and captain Mike Kydes were the other Yardling scorers, netting two of Harvard's four last-period goals.

Dartmouth's Pete Pirman put his team ahead at 8:45 of the first period with a direct free kick. This fired up the Crimson, according to coach Dana Getchell, and early in the second quarter Thomas equalized the score on one of his penalty kicks.

The game remained tied 1-1 until the last forty seconds of the third period when Thomas collected his second goal. Bell tallied three minutes later, and Thomas' score at 13:30 of the final quarter put the game out of reach.

Coach Getchell was full of praise for his entire defense, which he felt turned in another outstanding performance. He cited halfbacks Chris Ferner, Chris Wilmot, and Bob Woods; fullbacks Red Jahncke and Barnes Abbott; and goalie Larry Anderson.

Getchell said that the Dartmouth team was very much fired up for this game, and the play became excessively rough, especially in the third period. He expects more of the same Wednesday at Andover.