H-R 'X' Approved by HUC; Anarchists Support Wallace

By John G. Short

The Harvard Undergraduate Council has approved the constitution of a newly-formed group of Harvard anarchists and sent it to Dean Watson's office for final approval as an undergraduate organization. The organization is called, simply, "X".

"The group will be utterly amorphous, functioning strictly as an amplifier of the individual designs of its members," reads a line in the constitution. The group submitted a list of five officers, "Ministers of Information," to the HUC. They have signed Rogers Albritton, professor of philosophy, Samuel Beer '40, professor of government, and Robert Lowell '37, Ralph Waldo Emerson lecturer on English Literature, to become faculty sponsors.

"Instead of right or left, we're high; we're the radical up," said Minister of Information Barton Lane '69 of the group's politics. He added that he had been selected at random to be an officer.

Yesterday a cell of fifteen Harvard anarchists marched onto the Boston Common behind a black flag to support the presidential campaign of George Wallace, who was speaking there.

They carried a sign reading, "Anarchists for Wallace," and started passing out their own literature. Wallace supporters accepted them, handed them buttons, and said: "Here, give them to your friends." Then the Wallace band started playing "God Bless America," to which a member of the group held up a sign reading "God Bless George."

One line of their pro-Wallace state- ment read: "The whole nation, stirred to teeming excitement by his eloquence, has tingled in every polyglot branch: English and French, Irish and Italian, German and Polish, Hungarian and Japanese, black and white, Swede and Magyar, all have mouthed his name in ecstasy, flnging the wonderful sound to the blue God-given skies until the vast ness of America roared."

The opening paragraph of their constitution defines the anarchists' reason for being as follows: "By nature man is a mythic designer, a shaper of energy. He molds the world after his imagination, because he is bound by no particular concept of his own potential. But throughout history man has been tricked into ignoring this power.

"He boxes in his imagination for fear of its strength: he is afraid to govern himself, and so seeks a quiet world in a sterile niche of hierarchy. Thus he becomes his own captor and exploiter, and buries his dreams. Stage-fright soon makes spectators of us all.