Crimson Freshman Teams Split With Brown Opponents As Thomas, Wilmot Tally for Unbeaten Soccer Eleven

15-6 Grid Defeat Booters Win 2-0

The sparkling running of halfback Gary Bonner and a stingy Brown defense combined to set back the Crimson freshmen 15-6 yesterday at Soldiers Field.

15-Yard Sweep

Bonner gained 94 yards and scored one touchdown as his team rushed for a total of 221 yards compared to Harvard's 90. Bonner's touchdown, which proved to be the game-winner, was a 15-yard sweep around end in the third period. The Bruin's final tally was a 27-yard field goal by Kevin Craig with 10 seconds left, culminating a 73-yard drive.

The high point for the Yardlings came in the final six seconds of the game. Quarterback George Crace flipped a short pass to Steve Harrison on the right side-line, and Harrison outraced defenders for a 65-yard scoring play. It was Harrison's fifth touchdown of the season as the Crimson's record slipped to 2-3.

Yardling Fumble

The Bruins had three drives of seventy yards or more, but once in the third quar-were halted by the stubborn Crimson defense after earning a first down on the Harvard two-yard line. Four successive runs failed to crack the defense. Several plays later the Yardlings fumbled on their own 15 to set up Bonner's touch-down.

Goals by halfback Chris Wilmot and Charlie Thomas gave the freshman soccer team a 2-0 victory over previously undefeated Brown in Providence yesterday afternoon, as the Yardlings earned their ninth consecutive triumph.

Thomas Scores

Harvard grabbed the lead early as Wilmot headed a Chris Ferner corner kick into the net at 2:30 of the first period. There was no more scoring until the last half minute of the game when Thomas dribbled through the Brown defense and beat the goalie for his 19th goal of the season.

Crimson Coach Dana Getchel was especially pleased with his defense. The Bruins controlled the ball in the middle of the field a good deal of the time, and put constant pressure on the Yardling backs. Brown had a "bundle of opportunities to score," Getchel said, as they received several free kicks.

Yale This Week

Goalie Larry Anderson, however, "played his best game to date," Getchel added, "He didn't make a bad move all game." He also praised fullbacks Phil Axten and Red Jahncke ,and the halfback line.

The Yardlings play their final game against Yale this Friday.