SOC SCI 5 -- II

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

We the undersigned wish to express our opinion that Professor Kilson's comments concerning the criticisms of Soc Sci 5 by black students were ill-advised. The Ad Hoc Committee of Black Students was duly elected and empowered to act as an advisory and investigative body for the black students of the college, by the black students. Since it has not yet made a definitive judgment of the course, any comments concerning its final recommendations are premature. Also, because faculty-student dialogue is essential to the development of any course, we feel that the use of personalized attacks can serve no useful function and prevents a meaningful exchange of ideas. We fear that such attacks may easily degenerate into meaningless polemics and counter-productive confrontations. Therefore, we find such conduct unacceptable in the pursuit of objective truth. In closing, we wish to express our support of the investigative efforts of the Ad Hoc Committee and urge that, in the future, such pointless attacks as this be avoided by all parties concerned. Clyde Lindsay '69   and 17 other black students