SPORTS of the 'CRIME'

By Richard D. Paisner

I was sitting in English 164 not too long ago when a tennis player leaned over and said--quietly so as not to embarrass me--"Do you know anything about football?"

That hurt, But, then, climbing the Fogg steps out of class, I bumped into an old Cliffie friend. "I read your column every Saturday," she gushed--quietly so as not to embarrass herself--"and I really like it."

Momentarily my spirits rose--it was the kind of feeling most of us had when Humphrey went ahead in the popular vote counts Tuesday night--but I had to ask, 'Do you check to see whether I was right?"

"Oh, no," she beamed, "I don't care who wins. I just read it."

Cornell at Brown

I once thought I knew a little something about Rhode Island. I grew up in the shadows of Brown Stadium, after all. But then Brown beat Colgate which had beaten Princeton and then the next week, the Bruins lost to Princeton. Not bad enough? Well, Frank. Licht surprised everyone by defeating incumbent governor John Chafee. So Cornell will win, 13-7, because Licht went to Brown.

Columbia at Dartmouth

Last Saturday Columbia beat Cornell. I still don't believe it. Dartmouth has won only one of four Ivy starts. I don't believe that either. The home court advantage will prove decisive: Dartmouth, 20-10.

Yale at Penn

Pennsylvania played its worst game of the season against Harvard last Saturday, missing every break and making many mistakes. It won't happen again. In a stunner, Mr. Z and his surprising crew, which played Harvard even in the second half, will top Dowling's Yalies, 18-16.

Harvard at Princeton

It's been said all week. Two years ago, a similarly underrated Yovicsin team rolled undefeated up to the Princeton game, but expired on a fourth down and one at the Tiger 25. This could happen today. Princeton has all the makings of a superb football team: good runners and a sound defense. Brown felt the crush last week, and unless Harvard goes all out, that six hour trip home could seem considerably longer. On the record, Harvard should be a heavy favorite by as much as 24-6. By instinct, I would pick Princeton. With prayer, however, I call a seventh straight victory for our eleven: 17-15.