Swimmers Take On Brown With Easy Victory Likely

By Bennett H. Beach

The varsity swimming team, after Saturday's thrilling victory over Navy, 57-56, encounters a less challenging opponent tonight when it faces Brown at 8 p.m. in the IAB.

Brown has never been a swimming powerhouse, and this year is no exception. The Bruins are in the New England League rather than in the more competitive Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League, which is Harvard's group. Harvard coach Bill Brooks said yesterday, "Brown does not have a strong team this year, and we should have little trouble."

The Bruins' best chance for a win is in the '200-yard backstroke. Vance Salter easily won the backstroke in 2:12.6 in the Princeton meet, which Brown lost, 67-37. The only Crimson swimmer likely to beat Salter is Johnny Burris. "It should be quite a race." Brooks said.

Several other Bruins could give Harvard some trouble. Steve Thomas won the 50-yard free against Princeton in 23.7, with teammate Ken Miller third, but the Crimson's Mike Cahalan usually does the 50 in under 23 seconds. Pete Czekanski of Brown netted two second places, in the freestyles at 500 and 1000 yards, but there appear to be no other freestylers of note.

The Bruins managed two firsts in addition to Thomas', Marc Christman narrowly won the 200-yard breaststroke, while sophomore Cyrus Miller captured the top spot in the individual medley.

The last time, in fact the only time, that Brown defeated Harvard was in 1939, when the Bruins battled to a 38-37 victory. The Crimson has won the other 34 meets.