Fencers Take on S.M.T.I. In Today's Season Opener

By Thomas P. Southwick

In a year of Harvard sports unusually dominated by sophomores, varsity fencing should prove to be no exception. The fencing team, which finished in the basement of the Ivy League last year and has been noted for anemic records in the past, is loaded with dazzling rookies.

The season opener at Southeastern Massachusetts Technological Institute today should provide little opposition for the Crimson swordsmen, but it will give the sophomores a chance to shine for the first time in varsity competition.

Tom Keller and Larry Cetrulo are the two brightest stars in the sophomore ranks. Keller, undefeated last year as a freshman, will fence number one foil. As a senior in high school he placed 17th in the 18-years-and-under world fencing tournament. He should find little to challenge him until the New York University and Columbia meets next month.

Two and Three

Senior Sam Fouts and junior Cliff Ruderman will fence number two and three foil.

Cetrulo knocked team captain Ron Winfield into the number two sabre spot this year. Winfield, who was named to the All-Ivy squad last year, and Cetrulo should head one of the strongest sabre teams in the country.

In epee another strong sophomore, Geza Tatrallyay, will be fencing number two, behind senior Bill Theodore. The epee team, without any of the superstars of the other two squads, will be the weakest part of the team.

Opening Romp

In last year's opener against Holy Cross, a traditionally weak team, the Crimson romped to a 24-3 win only to be surprised two days later by SMTI, which the fencers defeated by the narrow margin of 17-10. This year the two teams are reversed on the schedule, and once again both are very weak.

But upsets are traditional in fencing more than in any other sport, and SMTI today or Holy Cross on Saturday will be looking to be spoilers.