Yardling Mermen Swamp Deerfield Academy, 64-31

Harvard's freshman swimming team demolished highly rated Deerfield 64-31 yesterday afternoon in final preparation for next Saturday's encounter with Yale.

The Yardling tankmen turned an anticipated battle into a rout by grabbing first place in 9 of 11 events. In the process, they continued their assault on the record book, establishing two new freshman marks.

Harvard greeted Deerfield with a record-shattering performance in the first event, the 200 medley. John Burris, Steve Baumgart, Steve Lewers, and Mike Cahalan Streaked home in 1:42.4 to establish an early point lead.

Sweeps

Toby Gerhart and Lewers picked up victories in the 200-and 50-yard freestyle as Harvard slammed both events.

Steve Krause's customary win in the 200 individual medley pushed the freshmen to a commanding 28-6 lead. Diver Dick Eisenberg slipped past his two Deerfield opponents to register another Yardling win.

After Johnny Munk lowered his own freshman record to 54.3 in the 100-yard butterfly the lopsided score began to look embarassing. With the meet already decided. Coach Benn Merrett decided to rest superstars Krause and Munk.

Merrett attributed Deerfield's weak performances to "shell shock." "They were overwhelmed at the Eastern High School and Prep School Championships last week and still have not recovered," he said.

Harvard swimmers produced some excellent times in the late events. Coming from behind in the last 10 yards, Burris won the 100-yard backstroke in 1:00.9, his best time this year. The freshmen recorded their third slam of the afternoon in the 100-yard breaststroke as Baumgart picked up the victory in 1:04.3.

Harvard concluded the massacre with an easy 3:19.4 triumph in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

On Saturday, the freshmen will journey to New Haven to battle the baby Bulldogs in their last meet of the season