YR's Ask Peace In Vietnam War

By Sandra E. Ravich

The Harvard Young Republican Club has passed a resolution calling for "an immediate halt to the bombing of North Vietnam and unconditional negotiations with all concerned parties, including the NLF."

In a close vote at a meeting Tuesday night the YR's, in voting to negotiate the war, reversed previous club policy which had affirmed the necessity of the U.S. presence in Vietnam.

According to the resolution, the goals of negotiation should be "arrangement for the withdrawal of American and North Vietnamese troops and the institution of a coalition government."

The resolution states that despite a need for U.S. presence in Southeast Asia to aid in economic development and prevent the spread of Communism, "our presence in Asia can only be effective in countries where the government commands a strong indigenous support and the force of nationalism is allied with our cause."

When the more hawkish members of the YRs said that the bombing should not be stopped, Irwin Gaines '69, vice-president of the Club, said, "There's a very good reason to cease bombing--there are people being killed."

Arthur J. Amigo '71, in attacking the resolution, called such a policy on Vietnam "an absurd act of sentimental masochism."