"Radicals" Organize Two Spring Courses

Harvard students have organized two new courses to study the problems of American society.

A group of seniors who are, according to Daniel S. Gilbarg '68, "all political radicals of one kind or another," have planned a series of lectures and seminars called "Critiques of American Society" which will be held this spring under the auspices of Dudley House.

Gilbarg said that Noam Chomsky, professor of Modern Languages at M.I.T., who teaches a course on "Intellectuals and Social Change" has agreed to sponsor "Critiques" so that students enrolled will be able to get course credit.

The prospectus for the course states that it will discuss the changes needed to remove obstacles to the solution of social problems.

Kenneth B. Frisof '68 said that although the lectures and seminars will be a series, "each unit will be self-contained so that interested students who are not enrolled can come to just a few and still benefit from them."

The course will meet for the first time tomorrow at 3 p.m. in Dudley House, and Chomsky will deliver the first lecture on Feb. 13. The remaining lectures will be delivered by other speakers.

A junior honors tutorial in Social Relations, "Toward an Activist Social Science", will also be offered for the first time this year. Led by Chad Gordon, assistant professor of Sociology, the tutorial--according to its prospectus--will attempt to integrate the findings of the social sciences in order to "analyze and solve American social problems."

The tutorial will be open to all majors in the social sciences but will be limited to ten students. Marc Strassman '69, who originated the idea for the course, said that if a large number of people are interested in the tutorial "it might be used for a focal point to organize a big course in the fall.