Dear Draft Board: Students Devise Plans for Letter-Writing Attacks

Draft resistance techniques seem to be changing. Instead of direct attack on draft policies, several resisters are now trying to harass local boards by literally interpreting some draft regulations.

Richard C. Webb '67, Arklay F. King 67, Victor Schramm, and William Swift, students at the Episcopal Theological School, are counseling draft-age students to follow literally the instructions on the backs of their draft cards. Registrants there are instructed to notify their local boards in writing of any change in their physical condition, occupation, marital, family, and dependency" status, within ten days of its occurence.

The four students have informally designated March 10-16 as "Harass Your Draft Board Week." Students are asked to write one certified letter a day to their local boards, telling them how they've been feeling or what they've been up to: anything that falls into the categories on the card.

Webb said a sample letter might read: Dearest Board:

You would not believe how lousy I feel. All my roommates have the flu, and, you know, I think I'm coming down with it. As a result of my feeling rotten, I have been unable to carry out my duties on Dorm Crew, and since I have not cleaned any of the johns in Winthrop House, am in serious danger of losing that job. My father's drinking has increased, and my sister was just rejected by all the colleges to which she applied. I sure hope things get better. I'll be in touch. Yours most sincerely,   (Your Name)