SDS Will Fight Increased Costs Of Rent & Board

The Harvard-Radcliffe Students for a Democratic Society last night announced plans to protest next year's hike in student fees.

A mimeographed sheet distributed at the meeting charged that Harvard has no need of any fees from students. The College charges for room, board and tuition only "to preserve Harvard's traditional class make-up," the sheet said.

SDS plans to map out the campaign against the $70 increase in room and board fees at a special meeting Sunday night. Mark Y. Liberman '68 and David F. Larabee '69, both off-campus students who face an extra $125 in fees next year, are the campaign organizers.

Fees Eliminated

The SDS sheet said that room and board fees "could be eliminated if the Harvard Corporation released unnecessary profits on its $1 billion principal. The sheet said that the Corporation would not have to touch the principal itself or profits needed to meet inflation to do this.

"Harvard's high cost is part of its admissions procedure," the sheet charged. It said that the cost is an "automatic financial filter" used to discriminate against lower-income applicants.

"In principle, there should be no charge at all," Liberman said later.