Celtics Sneak by Pistons; Red Wings Drop Bruins

Orr in Action After Long Absence

The Boston Bruins, with ace defenseman Bobby Orr playing for the first time since February 10, lost to the Detroit Red Wings 5-3 in Detroit last night.

Orr, who had been out of the line-up because of a knee injury, did not play particularly well as he drew two ten minute penalties.

The Red Wing victory kept the Bruins in third place in the Eastern Division, two percentage points behind New York.

Gordre Howe and Gary Unger gave Detroit a 2-0 lead in the first period, but Boston came back to tie the score on a goal by Eddie Shack at 10:54 and another by Ken Hodge at 16:40 of the period.

Then Frank Mahovilich bilstered home his 300th National Hockey League goal to make it 3-2. He followed with his second score of the final period.

Bruce MacGregor made it 5-2 for Detroit at 14:13 of the final period when his shot trickled in off the goalie's pads. John McKenzie notched his 28th goal for the Bruins 71 seconds later to crose out the scoring in the game.

The Bruins are looking forward to the Stanley Cup playoffs which begin for them on either April 4 or April 9 depending upon where they finish.

The next game for the Bruins will be on Thursday in New York.