Gift Will Finance Auditorium For Business School

The Graduate School of Business Administration has received a $2 million gift for the construction of an auditorium which will seat more than 800 persons, President Pusey announced today.

Mrs. William A. M. Burden of New York and her sons, William A. M. Burden '27 and Shirley C. Burden, donated the money. The building will be named Burden Auditorium.

Construction is scheduled to begin in late 1968 and to be completed in early 1970.

Philip Johnson

The Harvard Corporation has chosen Philip Johnson, one of the designers of the New York State Pavilion at the New York World's Fair and the Lincoln Center in New York, as the building's architect.

The auditorium, to be situated on the open ground behind Kresge Hall, will be designed with movable partitions to accommodate both large and small gatherings. It will seat almost twice as many persons as the Business School's largest present facility.

The auditorium was given in memory of Mrs. Burden's husband, who was First Marshal of the class of 1900 and captain of the 1899 football team.

"We welcome the generous gift of the Burdens in providing the Business School with a versatile auditorium capable of seating more than an entire M.B.A. class at one time," George P. Baker, Dean of the Business School said yesterday.