Squash Team Wins National Championship

Harvard's amazing racquetmen walked off with every piece of silver they could get their hands on this weekend at the National Intercollegiate Four-Man Championships.

Anil Nayar, number one on the Crimson squad, captured the National Inter-collegiate Singles Championship Sunday afternoon by defeating the second man on the Harvard squad, sophomore Larry Terrell, in three straight games in the finals. Captain Rick Sterne also faced a fellow teammate in the finals of the Consolation Round, taking first by downing Jose Gonzalez in three out of four matches.

And with such a Harvard-loaded round of finals, there was no question about the winner of the team trophy. Only Army with 13 points even approached the Crimson's total of 21 1/2, a record for the tournament.

In taking the singles Nayar played six men, and lost only one game out of nine-teen. Nayar has a smooth grace that makes his blindingly fast game look easy. While most of his opponents relied on smashes, Nayar combined smashes with gentle up-court shots that forced his opposition to run up and down the court and allowed Nayar to control the matches.

Terrell

Runner-up Terrell also used a mixture of shots to overcome his opposition. Terrell, who was seeded third, scored a major upset in the semi-finals Sunday morning by downing second-seeded Peter Martin of McGill. Terrell took the first two games, but Martin came back in the next two, 15-12 and 18-14. The four games were hard-fought, and Martin was just too tired to keep up with Terrell's consistently strong play. The fifth and deciding game went to Terrell by a lopsided 15-2 score.