Panel Asks Program Against Racism

"Most Americans are not racists; the American system is," Gar Alperovitz, a fellow in the Kennedy Institute, said last night, speaking in an open panel discussion on the role of Harvard's white community in combatting racism. "We must plan for a long term revolution of reconstructing whatever institutions are nearest at hand," Alperovitz said.

"Our aim tonight is the development of concrete strategies for the elimination of racism," Michael L. Walzer, associate professor of Government and discussion chairman, said. The discussion climaxed a day-long program of speeches and study groups on urban and racial problems.

Most members of the primarily white Lowell Lecture Hall audience last night agreed that their focus should be toward changing the structure of racist institutions, concentrating on white suburbs and on Harvard.

Speakers suggested that it was necessary to "completely change the nature of Harvard" so that the number of black students admitted is much greater, perhaps disregarding previous educational training and national test scores.

Black Cities

"Given the present trend, nearly all our major cities will soon have black or near black majorities, while whites move out to the suburbs in increasing numbers," Chester W. Hartman, assistant professor of City Planning, told a crowd of nearly 500 earlier in the day. "There are not many who actually benefit economically from such a system of segregation; the gains are primarily psychological or social."

But Samuel S. Bowles, assistant professor of Economics, said that there are "direct gains in the white community" from racism.

"While racism may be seen as a sickness, we had best understand it as rational system of economic exploitation," Bowles said. He accused our educational system of making this exploitation appear "legitimate and rational."

The only way to achieve a change, Hartman said, "is to raise the price" in terms of white self-interest. "The riots may help to raise the price," Hartman said. He proposed economic consumer boycotts of racist companies and pressured "key institutions of society" such as the cities and univerities as peaceful alternatives.