Crimson Laxmen Drub M.I.T., 18-1, To Open Season

Harvard's lacrosse team poured in goals at the rate of one every three minutes yesterday, clobbering a spiritless M.I.T. squad 18-1 in the Crimson's home opener.

Junior Jim Anderson swept by Tech's defense three times during the first period to get the Crimson off to a quick lead. He slammed home another tally to begin a second quarter in which Harvard scored 6 more times.

With a neat "W" passing formation before the Tech goal, Harvard's attackers and midfielders easily controlled the ball.

M.I.T.'s only goal came late in the second quarter after a melee around Harvard's crease. Engineer Ken Schwartz emerged with the ball and flipped it past Crimson goalie Terry Kahn.

Sophomore Bruce Regan retaliated two minutes later, and Harvard held a comfortable 9-1 halftime lead.

Deluge Continues

Only sophomore Brian Landry managed to score for Harvard in the third quarter but by the fourth, Tech's energy had run out.

Thirteen seconds after the gun, Towny Gray passed to Charlie Ames who ran across center and flipped the ball in with a quick side shot. A minute later Captain Tom Nicosia scored.

And so it went for fifteen brutal minutes as the Crimson piled on 8 goals and won by its largest margin in the last four years, 18-1.

The frosh laxmen also had an easy afternoon downing M.I.T. 11-1.