Keefe 'Will Lead Golfers Against Jumbos 'n' Jeffs

When the golf team opens its northern season against Amherst and Tufts this afternoon, it will be led by a captain who was once better at pitching to batters than to the 18th green.

Bo Keefe, who will play number one today on Lynnfield's Sagamore Springs course, played football, basketball, and baseball at Arlington High and Exeter. He played freshman football at Harvard before shoulder and knee injuries forced him to forget his baseball plans.

"The doctor wouldn't let me pitch," Keefe explained. So he started playing golf for the first time in his life. Without lessons, he played every day for the next two summers. "I always used to play baseball and swing a bat, so I just started swinging a golf club naturally," he said.

Sock It To Me

In his junior year, he tried out for the Harvard team and played his first competitive golf match as number two man. While Harvard was rolling up a 9-4 season record, Keefe was setting a 10-3 pace to lead the team.

As an individual, Keefe was medalist in the Greater Boston Tournament, tenth in the Eastern championships, and winner of the Henderson Trophy given to the best golfer at Harvard.

Golf Anyone?

Anyone interested in playing freshman or varsity golf should call Bob Stack at 547-0769.