Yaz Sparks 9-2 Red Sox Victory Against Indians

Carl Yastrzemski went three-for-three yesterday to lead the Red Sox to a 9-2 rout over Cleveland in a game marred by mayhem at the plate.

Playing despite a bruised arm suffered when he was hit by a Chicago pitcher Thursday, Yastrezmaski drilled his second double of the game deep into the center field hole in the fifth inning to break a 2-2 tie and spark the Sox in a three-run rally.

The Indians jumped off to a 2-0 lead on a two-run homer by Tony Horton in the second, but Rico Petrocelli slammed his third home run of the season in the top half of the second to make the score 2-1.

Cleveland starter Sonny Siebert and reliever Hal Kurtz each hit one Boston batter, and Yastrzemski and Joe Foy were both sent sprawling.

Boston starter Gary Waslewski hit both Siebert and catcher Duke Sims as he held the Indians to six hits for the win.

Yaz was knocked down three times in Cleveland last weekend. He had to hit the dirt yesterday to avoid being hit by a high inside fastball by Siebert. Reggie Smith was hit on the elbow by a Siebert pitch in the first inning.