March Protests MBTA Fare Hike

Students for a Democratic Society missed their hoped-for confrontation with Mayor Kevin White Saturday over the proposed MBTA fare hike.

About 80 SDS members and friends marched from the Dudley Street Station to the mayor's office on School St. in Boston. But Mayor White was at Harvard meeting with New York Mayor John V. Lindsay.

Saturday's march was the first event in SDS's "ten days," a concentrated protest effort that will focus on the war, civil rights, the presidential campaign, and labor issues.

The marchers, led by a drummer and carrying signs distributed at Dudley Station, walked along Washington Street to Blackstone Park, where they stopped to rest and rally supporters.

"The fare hike is aimed at the workers and poor--at those of us who are too poor to have cars," one speaker said.

"It's the rich guys that should have to pay," said Donald Cunningham, a 14-year old boy who marched with SDS from Roxbury.

He was referring to the $150 million debt to bond-holders that the MBTA says necessitates the fare hike. The MBTA has paid $80 million on tax free interest to bond-holders, which are primarily large Boston companies.

SDS decided to hold a rally before the MBTA board meeting at noon on Wednesday at North Station.