Golfers Down Cornell, 5-2, Behind Purdy

The golf team moved up another notch in its bid for Ivy League honors Saturday by thrashing undefeated Cornell, 5-2, on the Big Red's Ithaca course.

Jack Purdy led the Crimson attack with a 3 and 2 victory at six position. Purdy churned through the 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th holes in three under par to grab a commanding lead, which he never relinquished. He was one over par when he walked in from the 16th hole.

Bruce Lopucki, at number three behind captain Bo Keefe (one) and previously undefeated Yank Heisler (two), dropped Bruce Patterson of Cornell, 4 and 2, for the other big Harvard win.

Both Lopucki and Purdy clinched their matches with clutch putting and pinpoint chipping around the greens.

Keefe beat Mark Silverstein at one to push his individual record to 8-1. Tommy Wynne (four) and Joe Tibbetts (seven) added two more wins to the Harvard column on 3-1 and 3-2 victories respectively.

Heisler suffered the big upset of the day when he bowed, one hole down, on the 18th hole. Heisler was two up with three holes to play, but bogeyed the 16th and 17th holes to go even with his opponent, Ralph Henn. On the par-four 18th hole, Heisler hit the green in two and got down in two putts for his par, but Henn rolled in a 20-footer to steal the match.

Harvard meets M.I.T. at 1 p.m. today at Myopia Country Club. The golfers face Holy Cross at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.