SPORTS of the 'CRIME'

"White Not Red"

By Richard D. Paisner

If 1967 was the year of the Impossible Dream in the American League, then 1968 will be--for the Boston Red Sox and their faithful--the Year of the Plausible Night mare.

The immortal Yaz said earlier this week that for Boston to win the pennant again this year every man on the team would have to play over his head the entire season. This from a man who knows something about playing over his head.

For Red Sox fans the winter just past was less joyous than it rightfully should have been. At first the rubbery chicken and mashed peas of the banquet circuit tasted like squab and asparagus hollandaise, but Jim Lonborg's skiing injury and Tony Conigliaro's non-recovery from last year's beaning ruined the flavor.

Symbolic of Boston woes is the starting pitcher in the season's opener against Detroit later this week. Not Lonnie, not Stinger Stange, not Gary Bell, not anyone who played for the 1967 dream team. Dick Ellsworth will defend the flag; he's a National League refugee with a well-earned reputation for ineffectiveness.

Sadly, then, it will not be Boston which represents the junior league in the 1968 World Series, but it could be any one of four other teams.

1. CHICAGO--The White Sox have always had the best pitching in the American League; their problem has always been hitting. But two winter deals may have solved everything. From the Mets, Eddie Stanky's boys got two-time N.L. batting champ, Tommy Davis, and from Baltimore came shortstop Louis Aparicio. If Pete Ward and Duane Josephson have big years at the plate, and if Comiskey Park is still standing after the summer, then Chicago will win.

2. MINNESOTA--Picked by the baseball writers to cop the flag, the Twins may run into pitching troubles. Dean Chance is a good bet to win 20, but his left-handed side-kick Jim Kaat has arm troubles and may not pitch this year. Harmon Killebrew got lost in the Yaz excitement last year, despite his 43 homers--he is a great hitter. Oliva is still around and the Twins have picked up ex-Dodgers Roseboro and Perranoski.

3. DETROIT--This could be the sleeper team. Blessed with a tremendous starting rotation--Wilson, Lolich, Sparma and McLain, the Tigers need some clutch hitting. Their established stars--Kaline, Freehan, Horton, Cash--must stay healthy.

4. BALTIMORE--If Boog Powell returns to 1966 form and the young pitchers who won the Orioles the pennant that year also find the winning groove again, then 1968 could be a big Bird year, despite Lyndon Johnson's withdrawal. The Robinsons will hit, but the team's success may lie in large measure in Manager Hank Bauer's talents--Baltimore needs coaching and coddling.

5-6 BOSTON, CALIFORNIA--If Rick Reichardt continues developing into his $200,000 bonus, then the Angels will be a first division club. Boston needs luck--even more than last year.

7. WASHINGTON--Monster Frank Howard hit 36 homers last year; Paul Casanova is one of the best catchers in baseball. If Pascual, Bosman, and Ortega come through on the mound, the Senators may make the first division.

8-9. CLEVELAND, OAKLAND--The Indians have Sam McDowell, but little hitting; the Athletics have a new city.

10. NEW YORK--This old-time Yankee Hater relishes the sight of Ralph Houk and Mickey Mantle languishing in the cellar.