Crews at Sprints; Track Team at Heps

Heavyweights

The Harvard heavyweight crew wins collegiate regattas almost by habit, and it will win again at the Eastern Sprints tomorrow.

Every major crew in the East, plus Wisconsin, will meet on lake Quinsigamond in Worcester.

What will be interesting about the varsity race is not the finish, but the start.

The Crimson varsity has yet to take the early lead in any of its races so far this year. It trailed Northeastern, Princeton, and Penn by as much as half a length.

While these early deficits may be no problem against American college crews. Harvard will have to improve its start against Olympic competition. And the Olympics, after all, is what the Crimson has been aiming for all year.

At the Sprints, however, Harvard should win by open water.

The most exciting race of the afternoon will probably be the freshman heavyweight return bout between Pennsylvania and the Crimson. Last weekend at Annapolis, the rugged Penn frosh nudged Harvard by one and a half seconds.

Never Decisive

The two crews traded power tens all the way down the course, but the big Red and Blue oarsmen could not shake the tenacious Crimson. It was extremely close throughout the race, and only with about 25 strokes to go did Penn pull out in front for good.

Tomorrow's race is impossible to call.

The University of Pennsylvania had exams during the past week, but it is unlikely that their freshman coach Ted Nash would let such trivialities interfere with the real business on his mind.

Harvard is not favored to win the junior varsity contest. Again, it is Pennsylvania which gives the Crimson trouble.

Penn Dominated

The superbly controlled, powerful Penn junior varsity last week took Harvard by two lengths. There was never any question about the victor, as Harvard could not settle down the stroke to an effective racing cadence. A steadier Harvard junior varsity could do strikingly better against the Red and Blue tomorrow, but is doubtful that they can do well enough to win.

As many as 20,000 crew enthusiasts, college students, and libation sippers have gathered at the Eastern Sprints each May over the past several years. The course, running between wooded hillsides, is over 2,000 meters long.

Harvard has won the Jope Cup for overall heavyweight competition the last four years running. The freshman race will probably decide possession of the Cup this year.