5 Professors Resign Posts

Will Accept Positions At Other Universities

By Thomas P. Southwick

Five Harvard professors will resign their posts at the end of this year to take positions at other Universities. According to Dean Ford this is the largest number of resignations since he has been dean.

The five are: Stanford J. Shaw, professor of Turkish and of Ottoman History; Arthur E. Bryson, Jr., Gordon McKay Professor of Mechanical Engineering; George A. Miller, professor of Psychology; Antone Kimball Romney, professor of Social Anthropology; and Kenneth S. Lynn '47, professor of English.

Dissatisfaction

Shaw, who will become professor of Turkish History at U.C.L.A. next year, expressed dissatisfaction with his position at Harvard. "The Middle East program is not developing as I had hoped. Here I have to teach language as well as history. At U.C.L.A. they have separate people to teach language," he said. Shaw has been at Harvard for ten years and is an associate of Dudley House.

Romney is leaving to become a profesor of Social Anthropology at the University of California at Irvine. At Harvard since 1954, Romney is leaving because of what he termed "long and complex personal reasons which might be misinterpreted if I attempted to explain them in public."

Miller has been on leave this year teaching at the Rockefeller University in New York, where he will take a fulltime position next year. A member of the National Academy of Sciences, he has been a professor here since 1955.

Bryson, at Harvard since 1953, is leaving to become chairmen of the department of Applied Mechanics at Stanford University. "We have close personal ties to California and this, in addition to the greater opportunity Stanford will afford me, was the primary reason for leaving Harvard," he said.

Lynn, whose field is American literature, is leaving after 14 years here to teach at the new, predominantly Negro Federal City College in Washington D.C. In explaining his reasons for leaving, he said that it is time to stop talking and start acting.