RUS Hassle

THE machinations of Radcliffe student politics--generally monotonous and frequently trivial--usually elicit either apathy or ridicule from Harvard and Radcliffe students. But the present RUS constitution fight has taken on an importance far greater than the specific issues involved. The Radcliffe. Trustees, by their unreasonable and seemingly arbitrary inflexibility, have made the dispute symbolic of larger principles of student rights and Administration integrity.

The specific issues at stake have not changed much since the fight began last December. What has changed is the style in which each side has conducted negotiations. RUS, originally conceived as a militant replacement for RGA, has shown an increasing willingness to compromise and cooperate with the Administration. The Trustees, while professing sympathy with the students' cause, have chalked up a record of action that makes their claims sound hollow.

RUS' major goal is student representation on Radcliffe's College Council. Faculty, administrators and alumnae are all represented on the Council. Students are not. The infusion of student opinion could only help the Council in its governing of the College.

The Trustees' paternalistic objections here--that students would be bored by much of the Council proceedings and that Cliffies shouldn't burden themselves with responsibility--are indefensible, particularly in the light of the Trustees' shifting positions. In February, the Trustees suggested that RUS modify its demand for four voting Council seats to a request for two non-voting seats. When RUS presented the plan in a new constitution, the Trustees rejected it. Trustee objections to RUS autonomy also suggest a deliberate minister-pretation of student goals. RUS has requested the same type of limited legislating power that many other committees in the administration have, but the Trustees have devoted their time to refuting non-existent RUS claims for complete legislative independence.

Mrs. Bunting has repeatedly urged students not to give up the gains they have made so far. But the responsibility for creating a viable Radcliffe student government now rests with her and the Trustees. If they are sincere in their claims that they want a successful student government, they must now make the same kind of compromises that RUS has already made.