Frosh Stickmen Wind Up Season With 9-1 Record

By David M. Sloan

Harvard's freshman lacrosse team discovered the winning formula for any contact sport--a bruising offense and a stingy defense--and relied on it to compile a 9-1 record this season.

During the year the Crimson scoring machine, led by attackmen Phil Zuckerman and Cle Landolt, tallied an average of 11.2 goals a game, while the defense limited the opposition to 3.5.

Only a 9-8 loss to a powerful Exeter squad marred the Yardling's chances for a perfect record. The defeat followed two opening-season victories over M.I.T. and Deerfield Academy, which the stickmen trounced by 11-1 and 9-4 scores respectively.

After the Exeter loss, the team rolled over Dartmouth, 13-2, on the strength of four goals by midfielder Steve Barker.

The squad's most impressive win came against Brown, which Harvard had been unable to beat for several years. Down 2-1 at halftime, Harvard erupted for eight goals, three apiece by Landolt and Phil Fine, to dump the Bruins, 9-4.

After the Brown contest, Harvard's games often turned into routs. Hapless Holy Cross could tally only once against goalie John Cosentino, while the offense ran up an 11-1 score.

The team extended its winning string to five with 10-3 and 16-2 victories over Governor Dummer and Dartmouth. Zuckerman singlehandedly shallacked the Indians with six goals and five assists.

He nearly duplicated this scoring feat in the next game against Andover, as he tallied six times and added two assists to spur the team to a 14-4 win.

Zuck Sets Record

Zuckerman's team-leading scoring total broke the freshman record set by varsity star John Ince, who lead the Ivy league in scoring this season. Behind Zuckerman in scoring were Landolt and midfielder Rick Fine.

The squad finished the year with an 11-5 triumph over Yale. Defensemen Bill Bennett, Don Gogel, and Bob Kettle, who played lacrosse for the first time this season, stifled the Bullpups' attack for most of the game.