Stickmen Rout Penn, 11-0 Edging Closer to Cornell

Overwhelming Penn with an eight goal first period, the Harvard hockey team shut out the Quakers with predicted ease, 11-0, at Watson Rink last night.

First Period States

In the blistering first period barrage Harvard scored a goal a minute for the first five minutes of play. Captain Bob Bauer began the scoring, assisted by Chris Gurry and Jim Hornig, with a shot in front of the net. Dwight Ware next lit the light for Harvard at 2:48, drawing out the Penn goalie and hitting the open net from the right. Assists this time went to Jack Turco and Chip Otness. Owen was next, getting his first goal at 3:47 assisted by Scip Freeman and DeMichele.

Eight seconds later Cavanagh scored with Owen assisting. The two switched points for the final goal of the barrage as Owen scored a second time and Cavanagh got the assist.

Eleven minutes went by before Harvard next scored. The third line reopened the scoring when DeMichele put one into the nets at 16:27. Cavanagh again got the assist. Within 21 seconds Ron Mark tallied the Crimson's seventh goal.

Penn goalie Lloyd Smith sparkled in the second period and his team, sticking to defensive play, held Harvard to one goal in that period. Harvard had the puck in front of the Penn net many times but could not get it in. At 6:55 Cavanagh and Owen again teamed up as Cavanagh got the goal and Owen the assist.

The third period began like the first with Harvard scoring at one minute into the period. Mark took a slap shot from the blue line that sailed past Penn's new goalie Joe Dumser. Terry Driscoll's slap shot six minutes later deflected off a Penn skater into the net for Harvard's eleventh and final goal.